Famous Zappa covers

Updated
Famous Zappa covers

One of my favorite non-Frank versions of "Peaches en Regalia" was on the Dixie Dregs live album "California Screamin'" which Dweezil guested on.  There are not too many bands than can take on the task of covering Frank's repertoire but the Dregs were certainly worthy.  Another favorite of mine is Gov't Mule's instrumental version of "Pygmy Twylyte" which appeared on the bonus disc of "Live w/ a little help from Our Friends"  (Gov't Mule has also covered "Trouble Every Day" a few times live)

Others?

Christina B.

I think in this thread it's gotten a bit off topic

Christina B.

I think in this thread it's gotten a bit off topic

Charles T.

Absolutely, the Dixie Dregs did an impressive rendition of "Peaches en Regalia", and having Dweezil as a guest surely added a layer of authenticity to it. It's a testament to Frank's influence that so many varied and talented artists have tried their hand at his tracks. Speaking of other covers, Phish has played “Peaches en Regalia” numerous times in their live shows. Their jam-band style brings a unique flavor to it. Additionally, Zappa Plays Zappa, led by Dweezil, has done exceptional work in continuing Frank's legacy by playing many of his tracks with astonishing precision. It's heartening to see Frank's work live on and inspire so many artists across genres.

Koni P.

thanks for sharing

rudri r.

I think my favorite might be Michael Hedges' version of Sofa.

Mobdro

rudri r.

Joe A.

Offshore Hosting with 100% DMCA ignored Hosting, Offshore Dedicated Server, Offshore VPS Hosting. offshorededi.com is the Most Secure Offshore Host. Providing Offshore Streaming Servers as well.

Larry S.

Thanks for sharing, Your article content is being very much interested, I am very impressed with your post. I hope to receive more great posts. walgreenslistens

Hettinger C.

This post is really amazing. Thanks for the sharing.

Hettinger C.

I forgot about that one-I do remember that. She was on a sitcom at some point right?

Hettinger C.

Hedges was such a great musician and innovator, it's tragic more people don't know him.

Also, The Persuasions did an entire album of Zappa covers that should be considered essential listening for any Zappa fan!

Hailee G.

This is mazing to heard

Steve B.

In the interest of full disclosure, this favorite FZ cover was performed by my son, Maxwell. 

Without giving you a very long and (possibly) boring backstory, Dweezil had Max upload his cover of Rat Tomago to Dweezil's old website (this is now saved at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsoNyEw_CTQ).   After several other requested covers (including an unrequested cover of "Fwakstension" which seems to have been eaten by the interweb), Max attended Dweezilla and wound up playing Rat Tomago with ZPZ twice before a paying audience - first at Bearsville (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-fWMWUHgns) then in Tarrytown (in this clip, Dweezil gives the full backstory:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM_ohCv3BqU).

Seeing Frank three times:  $75

Seeing Dweezil eight times and counting:  $totally worth it

Seeing your son play your favorite Zappa solo with Dweezil:  priceless

Todd L.

Robby Krieger

The Ritual Begins At Sundown

Chunga’s Revenge.  So good. The whole album is. 

mm-exp.com

And speaking of making your own world in your cranium, I like to think that Frank made Watermelon in the Easter Hay, (9 syllables?), for people like me who are arpeggiocally challenged, or for that first guitar lesson.  Instead of Happy Birthday, or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, wouldn't one's musical life be off to a far richer start, if the first song you ever learned was Watermelon in the Easter Hay? A song in 9? In a really cool mode? Can I have an Amen sisters and brothers?

Post to Thread